Jun 23, 2017: SIA Engineering Company Limited and GE Aviation have agreed to launch a new engine overhaul joint venture based in Singapore. The joint venture will supply a full range of engine maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) services for the GE90 and GE9X engines. The GE90 engine solely powers the Boeing 777-300ER and 777-200LR, and the GE9X engine is the only engine selection for the Boeing 777X aircraft.
The creation of the joint venture, where GE will have a 51percent equity stake in the joint venture and SIAEC holding the remaining 49percent is subject to finalisation of the definitive agreements and receipt of essential regulatory approvals.
This partnership is made possible by Singapore Airlines' announcement in February 2017 of a letter of intent for 39 Boeing widebody aircraft valued at $13.8 billion, which includes 20 777-9s powered by GE9X engines. SIA is also a key operator of GE90-powered 777-300ERs.
The joint venture will set up a state-of-the-art facility, adopting GE's "Brilliant Factory" concepts, combining advanced technologies and lean practices with digitisation and data analytics to improve productivity.
Png Kim Chiang, chief executive officer of SIAEC, commented, “SIAEC is delighted to join hands with GE in setting up a world-class facility in Singapore to provide reliable and high quality services for the latest generation of GE engines. This partnership with GE, which is a significant strategic move for SIAEC, adds to our growing portfolio of joint ventures with the world’s leading aircraft and engine manufacturers.”
David Joyce, President and chief executive officer of GE Aviation, said, “SIAEC is known for high-quality engine services and support, and this partnership is a natural fit for GE Aviation and SIAEC. The new Singapore MRO joint venture will ensure GE90 and GE9X operators have access to the best service and support for their engines and will further strengthen GE Aviation’s presence in Singapore.”